Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Cheer with a Terminal Illness?

Yesterday my husband and I delivered gifts to our adopted ALS family. Pat, Cathey, their three kids, son-in-law, and grandson were all there. It was such a warm, rewarding experience that I hope we get to do it again next year. We spent about 45 minutes with them and they were all very thankful for the gifts that we brought them. I know that it wasn't the gifts that they were after. It was having someone who knows what ALS does to a family and knowing that at the holidays our family time is even more precious, especially when it could possibly be the last Christmas with your loved one.

In March 2010 my grandmother lost her battle with ALS. Not living in PA where she and my whole family are located was difficult for me. David and I traveled to PA a lot in 2009 and 2010. I know that sometimes people think that asking for help is a sign of weakness, but I'm so thankful that the Mulholland family wanted to be part of the holiday program. Helping them helped push me over into the holiday spirit. They are an amazing family! If you are inclined to make a difference in someone's life that might be battling a terrible disease, making a contribution to that organization is always a welcome gift. If you know someone that has been affected by ALS, please consider making a donation to the ALS Association in honor or memory of them. Their family, and mine, will be very thankful.

I'm still struggling with my holiday cheer, but when I remember the joy on Pat's face and the smiles we shared yesterday at their house, it warms my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment