Sunday, July 8, 2012

Turning 30

I may have the blues. The turning 30 blues. I am sitting here in the bed (at 7:00 on a Sunday evening) finishing up chores for the weekend and thinking about what to pack for my trip coming up this week. I have been meaning to blog more, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest going on lately to blog about.

I have fallen off the half marathon training wagon with family problems and birthday parties taking its place. I know that's not an excuse and should, actually, be a motivator to run more, but I just haven't done it. But, that is changing this week. We've modified our workout schedule for this week to accommodate a car ride and I think that my blues are around as a result of too much fun, not enough run(ning).

So - why, might you ask, do I think I've got the turning 30 blues? Who the eff knows. I have been super excited for my birthday, as usual, but as soon as my friend left today it was like uh-oh it's literally just around the corner. I was perusing Pinterest for a picture of '30' and found this:

I'll be Triple-X on July 12!
It made me smile. When I saw that I actually realized that I don't have the blues about turning 30. I'm still really excited about it. I will get to see everyone that I love (mostly) on my actual birthday. Really the only person missing from the day will be my mom, but I'll see her the week after. I've mentioned a couple of times the trip I've got coming up. Here's a little more on that:

Wednesday night after I get off work, David and I are going to drive up to PA. My awesome mom-in-law is going to babysit (our precious cats) for us. We are staying in Virginia one night and then driving the rest of the way Thursday morning (my actual birthday) up to my grandma's house. She's going to make me a birthday lunch! I'm excited about that. There is nothing quite like grandma's cooking. I don't know when the last time I spent my birthday with her. After what I'm sure will be a superb meal, we'll be heading to my dad's house where I hear tale/tell (not sure which one, let me know in the comments below what's correct) that there might be a small gathering of friends. Small, fun get together, with people that I've known for half of my life at this point. I can't wait!

Friday morning we are going to pack up the truck and head on to one of my favorite places:
New York City!
Dad & G have a place in the Bronx so we'll stay there, go to their favorite little place to eat on Friday night - Antonio's - and then head on in to Manhattan on Saturday. There's a lot that I want to do, but one thing that I know is happening is the Murder at the Met Scavenger Hunt. I did this once before in 2006 and had a great time. My dad and G have something mysterious planned for 1:30 that day. I don't know what it is, but my father said that I'll probably pee my pants from excitement... That's a lot to live up to, but I'm sure that they can, and will, succeed in making it a super surprise! We are also going to be going to dinner at Aqua Grill with one of my best friends and her fiancee (they just got engaged in Paris).

Sunday I think that we are going to try and go to the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx before we pack up and head back to PA. David and I will be returning to the lovely, overheating South on Monday. I'm really looking forward to all of this. We haven't been to New York since June 2009 or 2010. It's been too long.

As I've typed out this post I have realized more that it's not that I'm worried about turning 30. My blues are simply caused by the fact that I have to work for the next 3 days before I can leave for this amazing trip! I do have a couple of things to accomplish before we leave town though. I have to pack, obviously, buy $100 worth of fireworks, and get in three days of workouts.

My race is fewer than 80 days away and I need to get my ever shrinking ass back into shrinking mode!

No comments:

Post a Comment