Monday, July 16, 2012

Getting back into the swing of things

I've been failing recently at my marathon training. I have basically taken two weeks off. I have run here and there, but I've not gotten any long runs in at all and I really feel like I'm slacking. Actually, I don't feel like it, I know I am. Here's this week's excuse: I turned 30 on Thursday spent 10 hours in a car between Wednesday and Thursday, 4 hours on Friday and Sunday, and 10 hours today. When was there time to run? Friday morning? Sure. Saturday? No, not really because we walked around New York City for 12-15 hours. Sunday morning? Yep. But I left my sneakers in State College and we didn't go to bed until after 2 a.m. so there was no way I was going to be running. This morning we got up, got ready to go, and hit the road. It's a long way to drive and we needed to stop and see family on the way home.

So that's my excuse - there was time and I didn't take it. It's my own damn fault. But guess what. I had an amazing weekend. So here's what I'm going to do this week. Hopefully get up tomorrow morning and run or go to the gym. Then I'm going to do the one that I didn't do on Wednesday, maybe (I've got a big event that I need to be at at 7 a.m., so that might not happen). Then on Thursday, I'm going to run again. Friday I'll hopefully take the day off. Saturday, depending on where I am (traveling again) I'll cross-train. Sunday I HAVE to run 5 miles. Just 5 miles. I can do 5 miles in 1 hour.

Yes, I know that 1 hour to run 5 miles is a lot for most people, but guess what? I'm not most people. And I've determined that as long as I am doing something, then it's a whole lot better than doing nothing. So, like I said last week, I'm going to get my ass back into shrinking mode and for two reasons: My half-marathon is in 9 weeks (gasp!) and because when I weighed myself on Tuesday last week, I'd lost more weight. I'm down 10.8 pounds since the beginning of April (again, I know that's slow progress, but it's progress nonetheless).

Here's the picture of the very shapely booty that I shared in last week's post. Enjoy!

I realize my ass will never look like this, but it's a great motivator!
Now here's the updated training plan for the marathon. Since the race is in 9 weeks, I'm going to start with 5 miles this Sunday and just add a mile each Sunday until my race. I'll keep doing my training runs during the week and then I'll just go out and run the race! It'll be wonderful! I'll be wonderful! And as long as I finish the race in under 3 hours, I'll feel like a successful half-marathoner. Over three hours is okay, it's just not my goal.

Maybe I'll post more updates about my progress this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment