Sunday, April 22, 2012

Recipe: Homemade Pulled Pork

A coworker of mine (hey Elizabeth!) told me about this pulled pork recipe. It's so easy you have no excuse not to make it. There are three ingredients. Yes, you read that correctly, three. Here's what you need:
  • a crockpot 
  • a pork loin
  • root beer
  • bbq sauce
 I know that bulleted list has four items, but the crock pot isn't an ingredient.  What you do is unwrap the pork and place it in the bottom of the crock pot. Like so:
It looks, um, interesting...
And then you crack open your favorite root beer and pour it in until the pork is mostly covered. Don't forget to save a root beer for yourself!
Yum!
Then you put the crock pot lid on and let it cook on high for 3 - 4 hours depending on the size of your loin(s) (hehe) or on low for 6 - 8 hours. Once it's done, you remove the pork loin from crock pot. It's not going to look like the most appetizing piece of meat you've ever seen, but trust me - it's going to be tender and delicious!
See - it's not pretty.
That's a little bit better.
Then you get two forks (or whatever you want to use, really) and start tearing that little, moist, tender piece of meat up. You want it to look something like this:
Try not to eat too much of the shredded pork. It's hard to resist. I know.
Once you've got the whole pork loin shredded your plate will be quite covered. It makes enough for the two of us to have 3 or 4 meals.
A plate full of pork!
Then you'll squirt on your BBQ sauce. The first time I made this I used homemade BBQ sauce. Tonight, however, I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce. I think that the homemade will be better, but I didn't feel like making a new batch! Mix it all up, store it in an airtight container and now you have dinner and/or lunches for the next few days.
Mix it up and use more if you need to. I did.
Serving suggestions:
  • Open face BBQ sandwich on toast with a slice of Havarti cheese cooked under the brolier.
  • Pulled pork nachos.
  • Wrap the pork up with some burrito fixin's and freeze those bad boys. Like this.
However you eat them, I hope you enjoy this super simple recipe. Do you have any other simple crock pot recipes that you would share with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment