Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rest and Prescription NSAIDs

I typed out this wonderful post the other day and it disappeared, so now I'm going to try and recapture some of that here.


http://www.sports-injury-info.com/hip-flexor-injury.html

I've irritated my hip flexor and it has been causing me a lot of discomfort and at times, pain. I ran last Monday and Wednesday and haven't run since. After I got off the treadmill on Wednesday I was in a lot of pain. I stretched and foam rolled and did everything that I thought would help (except, I realize now, ice) and it still hurt. I was scheduled to do a 3-mile run yesterday, but took the night off because I still was hurting.

I was tired of being uncomfortable every time I moved so I finally called my doctor yesterday and she so graciously called me in a script of Meloxicam. I took one after dinner last night and started feeling a bit better before I went to bed. I'm still a little sore today, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was last week, or even yesterday.


Tonight I have a speaking engagement after work, but I'm going to do my 3 mile run after that. I hope that I don't have any pain during my run and I'll be certain to stretch before and after my run. And if there is some pain, I'll be sure to ice. I was really worried about not being able to run because of this and I saw both of my goals for the year go out the window. But, hopefully this will help and then after my 5k at the end of the month I'll be able to rest a little bit before I start training for my half marathon.
 
http://happyfitness.tumblr.com/
So my question for you today is: How long do you wait before you go to the doctor when you are in pain from exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment